This building houses probably the only complete Joseph Armfield installation in the UK. It is a historical masterpiece that the Pembrokeshire Coast National Parks Authority are happy to let drift into ruin and decay.
Built in 1813 on the site of the former Blackpool ironworks. The mill was designed for symmetry, with a central main entrance and with its main block flanked by equal low wings at each end. The original water-wheel was 4.5 m diameter and 3.5 m in width, on a wrought-iron shaft and was beneath the main block of the mill. New machinery was installed by Armfield in 1910 powered by a turbine and continued in use until after the second World War. In 1958 the mill was converted to electricity. In 1968 a program of restoration of the mill was commenced by Lady Victoria Dashwood to convert the mill to a tourist attraction. This in turn failed and since then the building has fallen into a state of disrepair. Recently the owners of Bluestone National Parks Resort produced a £2.5million plan to restore the mill by incorporating it into its tourist facilities. As the mill has failed as a flour mill and as a museum because of lack of turnover it must be a sustainable project, but although the Parks Authority have approved the conversion, they won't approve the supporting works to generate the funds that would make the mill viable and sustainable as an Education facility, a tourist attraction and one that would create 60 new jobs by the erection of a new events barn and other facilities. In their naivety and adopting a 'jobs worth' attitude they would prefer to wear blinkers and let the building rot and have a structure that can only be described as an eyesore in the national park rather than look to the future and allow a new building. Sad people!