This is a beautiful mill originally built to serve the local farm. Both flour and animal foods were produced in it. Milling ceased around 1897 and in 1936 the long South barn was destroyed by fire. Some time after the North barn was demolished just leaving the West barn and mill tower standing. The building after extensive renovation and restoration by both the local council and a group of volunteers was opened to the public in 1979. This windmill has been quoted as housing one of the finest mill museums in the country.
The mill with both the North and South barns as well as the remaining West barn
The dark stain is part of an experiment and may be changed later
The majority of Smock mills have eight sides whereas this mill has been built with only 6 sides and is mounted on a square base
Click on the image to visit the Sussex Mills group page about this mill.