BuiltWithNOF

Alford

This working five-Sailed Windmill in Alford was built in 1837 by the local millwright Sam Oxley. At one time there were four, five and six-sailed windmills in Alford, but today only this five-sailed mill remains. The novel use of five sails was based on efficiency experiments by the celebrated engineer John Smeaton. He is also credited with advocating the use of the rounded onion-shaped (Ogee) cap to reduce wind resistance.

Alford windmill is a 5 sailed working windmill open to the public on certain days

Click on the image to connect to their web site